Sunday, August 9, 2009

the finish line (i can taste it)

It's been a busy, busy week. First off, I want to say I landed an internship at a cellphone app creation company. It's pretty sweet, and I will be working part time there in the coming days. Besides that, been hard at work on my Griffith garage kit. It's surprising to think, after all of this hard work and insane labor, that I am pretty damn near close to finishing. I thought that the post-prep work would be fairly difficult (such as painting and attaching all of the little shits), but it's actually quite the opposite. I sat down and managed to paint all of Griffith in one night, save the sword and scabbard. Albeit it took the entire night (about 6 hours worth), he came out rather nicely (or IMO anyways). My phone camera was a real poor choice for this, both because it hides my mistakes as well as the extra effort I put into small details. I promise that when the statue is complete, I will take my dad's 9 thousand megapixel camera and do this kit some justice.

I had to pretty much re-mold several broken/missing pieces out of Milliput. Fuck Thai resin.

Tamiya Masking Tape is really godlike. Sticks decently and is easy as hell to pull off.

Priming outside my house, in my underwear, at midnight.

This was tricky as hell. Since the cloak pieces are rather heavy, I had to apply massive amounts of masking tape to make sure the chunks would stay in place while the epoxy glue dried (which takes several hours).

My ghetto triple stack foam dryer.

Everything (except for the cloak) is primed! Testing it out.

While the glue was hardening on the horse, I decided to paint Griffith, starting with his face and hair.

I then did his clothes a pastel violet and his boots a rosey leather.

Painted his armor ivory white and added gold to all his buckles.

Attached the cape with some epoxy and called it a night. Woke up the next morning and the cloak was stuck on rock hard.

Decided the white armor needed a bit more flare and added gold to all of the bolts.

Finished building and painting the sword! You also cannot take that out of his hand, his two-part fist clenches it in place.

The final stage of prep work for the horse - puttying and epoxying the gaps between the cloak. Took about an hour.

You can't really see it that well, but this was the innovation of the night. I took an old toothbrush and the gold paint and flicked gold flakes all over the base. It's really sublte, but I think the overall outcome was great.

Now that the Griffith stuff is over, I just wanted to share some snapshots of an ad I saw on TokyoTosho. Darker than Black was a decent series; I'd actually rate it slightly above average in overall terms, but the entertainment value was definitely much higher. I did enjoy the first season, and I am definitely looking forward to the second!




Midterms this week, and work. That's not going to stop me from finishing my Griffith kit though! And on a final note: may my uncle rest in peace. He left us just a few days ago, and I wish him all the best wherever he is now.

2 comments:

entrar yahoo said...

excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

Noticias Miramar said...

Admiring the persistence you put into your blog and in depth information you provide. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material. Fantastic read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.