Sunday, August 16, 2009

the white hawk (has landed)

It's been about a month since I first received my Griffith Hawk Soldier 1/10 on Horse garage kit. Through these past few weeks, I've gone through some of the most tedious yet awe-inspiring moments, as I slowly, piece by piece, assembled my beloved Griffith.


The journey was long, but I feel extremely satisfied now at the end. Research, planning, hard work, dedication, the right tools, and a little imagination allowed me to create my first amazing statue. Before I go into more progress work, I'd like to thank a few particular sources: Joa (for the inspiration), Steve (for TONS of tips and suggestions), HobbyFanatics.com (for a slew of ideas), Cody's Coop (for the general tutorial), and M_Candy's youtube guides on garage kit building.

A comment on the kit itself and my decisions on how to construct it - I had originally wanted to follow the traditional color scheme (blue lightning bolts, silver armor, etc.) but then decided against it. After careful consideration and research, I consulted a few friends and we all ended up agreeing that performing an ivory white paint job (much like Art of War's Griffith repaints) would much better depict the "immaculate white hawk" that I had originally intended to portray. With that came the gold splattering on the base and the flag idea, which was drawn directly from one of Griffith's victory scenes in the manga. A little bit of improvisation and the use of a pastel purple instead of the over-used, bludgeoning blue took the kit a long way forward. Once again, I am extremely satisfied with the results, and I hope to do more of these things in the future!

And so...continuing where we previously left off:

Over here I added several rocks made of putty and apply the Taka no Dan decal.

After I primed the flags, my sister and I hand painted the Taka no Dan crest on both sides of each flag.

Primed, painted, and washed the rocks in the same colors as the base.

Added the same gold sprinkling effect that I used on the base.

I had a good feeling about adding foliage to the mix, so I went with a fall palette to give a sort of drying moss/leaves to the base and ultimately give the piece more dynamics in color.

A peek at what the other side looks like.

Stuck the flags in, two in the front and three in the back.

Rear view.

Installed footholds after epoxying Griffith to the saddle. He, surprisingly, doesn't need to be pinned down. His weight and how the saddle is made can easily support him.

Used the brass sheet again for the reins and attached the scabbard to Griffith's waist.

The final step of the piece - painting the Taka no Dan crest gold!

Peeling off the decal to a pretty amazing finish.

"Griffith, The White Hawk"

Note to self: don't drink three heavy shots within the span of 15 minutes. Your head might hurt the next day. Other than that, I hope you guys enjoyed reading about my progress with Griffith. Lots of pictures, I know. I'm hoping to work on something easier for the next one - probably a Casca. School, work, then Blizzcon on Friday. Good shit sirs.

No comments: