Monday, March 30, 2009

spring is in the air (09 anime rundown)

I'm going to start this off with a quick review of our good friend Rideback and admit that I was pretty let down by the series. I was so hype when it started, but what ended up happening was a very mediocre anime with a mild plot and even milder characters. So much cliche and so many pointless scenes really drove the story nowhere. The ending was pretty well done, but I wish it retained the same feeling throughout the entire series. There's hardly any closure and the very end only had me thinking: "so what?"

Leaving the past behind, let's go ahead and see what the Spring 09 line-up is bringing us! At first I wasn't too excited about many of these series, but after talking with a few friends and doing a bit of exploring myself, there are actually several titles that I will be considering! Check em out.


Fullmetal Alchemist
5 April 2009 // Sundays

A remake of the original series that aired back in 2003, Fullmetal Alchemist is a story about two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric, that are in search of the Philosopher's Stone after an attempt at resurrecting their deceased mother went awry. This one is going to stay true to the manga (where the former went way off).

Guin Saga
5 April 2009 // Sundays

I don't know much about this series, but I do know that it is one of the longest running manga out there. Spanning 120+ volumes, Guin Saga holds some truly epic storytelling (or so I hear). Not sure how long the anime is going to be or how much they intend to cover, but it should be something to look forward to.

Eden of the East
9 April 2009 // Thursdays

One word, two letters: Production I.G. 
This one has an interesting plot, a girl who comes to study in the U.S. gets into trouble and is saved by a naked Japanese man who has no memory, a gun, and a shitload of money. Both story and animation should be top notch, so this one will definitely get blogged.

Senjou no Valkyria
4 April 2009 // Saturdays

Based on "the best ps3 game that nobody played" and takes place in alternate 1930 wartimes. Pretty sure I'll be watching this because Dae said that the videogame was awesome.

Sengoku BASARA
1 April 2009 // Wednesdays


For the lulz. This game is really terrible, but it was made by the same guys that did GG, so I have to watch it haha. The story is based off of 16th century Japan, but god knows how accurate that is. Flaming lightning swords and mecha samurais. Yea.

Queen's Blade
2 April 2009 // Thursdays

This one, along with Hatsukoi Limited. (which I'm not going to list here) are my "relaxed" watches. Queen's Blade is nothing but fan service: half-naked chicks with big weapons fighting in some tournament. Plot doesn't really matter, but bubz do.

NEW UPDATE ~~
Added "Old Banner Gallery" slideshow for those who want to look at stuff that I made. Click this link if you're too lazy to scroll down.

That's about it for now. Coming soon - Soul Eater Review, Truisms of the Asian Heritage, I use a T-Square to Scratch My Back: The Life of an Artist, I Saw a Chick Puking in the Chevron Bathroom, and Product of the Information Age. These all might get done within the week! Yea Spring Break!

2 comments:

ct said...

Holy fucking shit dude.
Amazing how I had no idea how fucking epic this intro was and just thought it was cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr8KAxTFMyU&feature=rec-HM-r2
Appreciate that shit. This and batman beyond intros. fuck.

dae lee said...

the new FMA is looks really tasty. Valkyria Chronicles better not let me down. video game anime almost never get to be any good (persona, Devil May Cry) but VC needs more publicity, and damn it all to hell if it doesn't do well >:l