Tuesday, June 30, 2009

surprising levels of productivity (despite summer heats)

I have some major updates for this blog, and possibly dropping this blog because I might startup my website soon. After scrounging around for quick freelance jobs via Craigslist, I realized that having a website is *crucial* to obtaining said gigs. It's a pain in the ass to have to constantly tailor your portfolio and resume to specific wants and needs, when you could just have a website with all of it on there and they can look at the stuff they need to and everyone is fucking happy. Instead I'm here busting my ass trying to find all of my old work, shrinking the image size, and sending stuff off to all sorts of different people. I think I've applied for about 30 gigs in the past two weeks. I've gotten three of them. You heard me. It's not surprising to find that there's at least another few thousand graphic designers within Southern California that are hungry for extra dough, and even less surprising that a few hundred of those people would be scrounging around Craigslist for easy jobs. So to rise above all that clutter and bullshit, having a website will really help me stand out.

I just finished a mini portfolio booklet a few hours ago (took me like 3 hours to assemble) with some of what I feel like is my better work. Of course I can't fit all of it, so I just put 6 graphic design pieces, 4 branding documents, and another 6 advertising campaigns. Hopefully that gives my clients a good enough idea of the spectrum of different fields that I am flexible enough to work with. That's what I'm going to have to use till I fiddle with Dreamweaver and Flash enough that I can make a full-fledged website. The first thing I need to do, before that, is come up with a theme for myself. I don't really have a designer nick (though if I ever started a studio, it'd totally be called "The Blacker the Better"), so I've just been going by chris.yesmilord. After that, I'm going to have to learn Flash and Dreamweaver. I have an idea in mind for what I want to site to look like - something akin to a teched out, tripped out Swiss Style with my usual colors (red, purple, gold) with the word "forge" in mind.

Now I'm just ranting.
Anyways, I started doing all this freelance stuff because I had a dream where I had like 6 Detolf cases lined up and they were all full of custom made Berserk statues. I wish I was fucking joking.

Blazblue is out this week. I'm not going to be playing it...not hyped enough anymore...not after I heard from a certain someone that an HD online Guilty Gear revision is in the works. I shit you not. Due to NDA crap I can't really say anymore, but man after I heard that I didn't even give a shit about Blazblue anymore. Hummm, what else...I'm finally getting my Armored Berserk Headlong Kit I ordered 2 years ago painted by Joa (a famous hobby kit painter in Sweden). I can't wait till that's finished (I'm actually more excited about this than my $800 statue). Yea I'm crazy, but this kind of motivation has caused me to produce so much work within the past two weeks. I've never had such a productive summer. I usually just lay around in the heat, play DotA, eat ice cream, and masturbate.

1 comment:

OMGHDDizzy ?! said...

The HD GG is nice and in fact a lot more exciting than BB. The thing is, will it have the player base of BB? If mostly everyone switches to BB and only a handful play HD-GG then it's kinda "bleh".
Otherwise IF HD-GG has a nice player base "aaahhh yeeaaahhh back to Dizzy!"